Re: tlug: another question: webpage-like desktop in Linux

Scott Perlman writes:
 > Well I'll pedantically correct that:
 >
 > KDE is the most user-friendly (In the opinion of Matt Gushee) free
 > (using the term loosely) desktop available for X on Linux.
 >
 > I personally can't stand any of the CDE clones and consider them all
 > non-friendly.  (What you don't want Icons on your desktop? TOUGH, we
 > can sort them into this one huge area of your screen if you really
 > don't want them floating, but you WILL have Icons)

Jeez Louise. In case anybody gives a damn, I don't use KDE myself (I
like my WindowMaker with a plain black background, thank you). I
mentioned it because of the web integration thing. I said it was
user-friendly because it fits what seems to be most people's
definition of user-friendliness ... easy to set up, supports
drag-and-drop, has GUI configuration tools ...

To tell ya the truth, I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of trying to
make a Linux desktop that looks like a Win95 clone ... personally I
find the 'Start menu' really braindead and annoying. But Red Hat and
the KDE people think users want that, and I have no evidence to
prove them wrong.

Regards,

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido