Re: tlug: Cleanly unmounting devices

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 10:38:28PM -0400, Gavin Walker wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Every time I start up Linux I'm getting a series of messages that say
> "device XXXX was not cleanly unmounted - check forced", where XXXX is
> all of my disk devices. I'm shutting now the machine using 'shutdown
> now' and waiting until all activity seems to have finished, so what am
> I doing wrong? Why doesn't Linux have a 'You can now turn the power
> off' type message? I'm using Redhat 5.0.

Try this:

   perl -pi.bak \
     -e's/The system is halted/You can now turn the power off/' \
     /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt

:-)

You *are* waiting for the "system halted" message before turning off
power, aren't you?

There *was* a bug in marking a filesystem clean at unmount many many
moons (kernels) ago, but RH5.0 is certainly too recent to share the bug.
Have you mucked with your init scripts?  What do "rpm -q initscripts"
and "rpm -V initscripts" produce?

Regards,
--
Rex