Re: tlug: RH Sparc 5.1 Install

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

>Is the video hardware standard across all 4ms?  that would certainly make
>it easier.. with PCs you have to deal with a million different
>card/mouse/keyboard/monitor combinations..

I think it pretty much is on all of the older Sparcs.  Apparently, the
only question you have to deal with is whether you have color or not.
It asked me at the outset if I had a color monitor, and then never asked
me anything else at all.  I lied and said I did, since the frame buffer
is B&W but I plan to replace it with a color one.  This was an install
of a small 4.2 version.

Newer Sparcs do have more video options available (like 24-bit) and the
Ultra 5 has PCI, so that may expand the choices some more.  I don't know
if it's 32 or 64 bit PCI, though.

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>