RE: tlug: Re: TurboLinux

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> We have not had any prohibition on people making commercial announcements to
> the TLUG list as long as they are list subscribers, so I certainly see no
> problem with a TL release announcement.  If I remember correctly, this was
> discussed some months back and the consensus was that list members were not
> prohibited from making postings announcing Linux products or services that
> they provide.    Making a living from Linux isn't easy,  so I'm happy if our
> list can make that a little easier for people who are doing so.

It can also be hard to locate the proper resources sometimes, maybe
moreso from a remote spot like I'm in. These notes are not only
welcome, but hoped for in my case. Granted, I have LAN access to
the net, but that isn't any guarantee that I'll be able to get
through to what I want or that I can find it in a reasonable time
frame.

I've seen enough crap on other mailing lists (including binaries at
more than 1M in size). This one has its digressions, but basically
has an incredibly high s/n ratio, higher than any I've seen myself.

FWIW, I feel anything that is honestly Linux-related has a place,
and anything that is computer-related is tolerable at worst. And for
my money, job notices and Linux distribution notices are no less
valid than anything else here (plus I'm hoping that someday I can
grab one of those job openings and get outta here...).

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken