Re: tlug: mail

Rex,
Before I got your email, I decided to move over to Red Hat.  It was a
surprizingly quick install.  I installed 4.1 off of a demonstration install
which I got a while ago in a package of Sunsite Linux disks from
www.cdrom.com I think.

My current situation is sendmail 8.8.4, pppd 2.2, and fetchmail (forgot the
version).  I have gotten the RH ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off scripts to
work as far as getting me online.

You asked "Are you having a problem sending mail or receiving mail?"  The
answer is both.  Now that I am using sendmail, I just ppp-on'd and then ran
mailq.  But, when I checked /var/spool/mqueue it still had the outgoing
emails...  And, fetchmail is still not getting anything off my pop
servers...

>1.  Can you pick up mail via POP from your ISP?
I am not sure what it means when you say that mutt doesn't require X.  As
far as I know, all of the soft I am using for mail is non-X.  But, I still
haven't gotten mutt.  Lazy?  Busy?

>2.  Can you deliver mail locally?
Yes, local mail works just fine.
>2.  Can you deliver mail received via smtp?
Yes, the telnet localhost smtp worked just like you said.  I never knew you
could do that.

So, I guess that since local, and smtp work, I have to work on my fetchmail
rc file.  Or just get mutt somewhere.  Is that in a RH RPM?  I recently
installed alien.rpm, but I don't know how that works yet.  But, if alien can
read the deb or slack package with mutt, point me in the right direction for
mutt.  Is it possible it is on my Sunsite Linux Archives cdrom?

Thanks Rex and Karl-Max.  I definitely have learned a lot about ISP mail,
mail in general, and networking through this process,
Eric S. Standlee
Kashihara-shi <Kintetsu Yamato Yagi>
Nara, Japan
e-w.standlee@example.com
Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive, anyway