Re: tlug: IOT trap/Abort

    Jonathan> If I run Netscape and it dies with the message "IOT
    Jonathan> trap/Abort" what's wrong?  My disk had gotten full and I
    Jonathan> had to reboot after I removed some old files and
    Jonathan> relocated others, because it wasn't recognizing the
    Jonathan> deletions.  The shutdown seemed to go smoothly, although
    Jonathan> it forced a check on boot and said the disk hadn't been
    Jonathan> cleanly unmounted.  Everything else seems OK so far, but
    Jonathan> Netscape is busted.

Jonathan,

	I don't know about the IOT trap, but the not "recognizing the
deletions" is most likely that some process still had the files
open. Until a process that has the file open closes it, or exits,
disk space will not be freed up.

You should be able to use "fuser" to find out who has the file
open. Another program that is useful for this is lsof, "list of open
files" which will tell you gads of info any kind of unix file
descriptor. For example you can find out which process is listening on
a particular TCP port.

Andy
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: