tlug: Data type 9 not supported?

Help!  I can boot up my Sparc from a boot floppy.  I've got my disks
partitioned (q: why does the 4.2 installer only format the swap partition
(it's on sdb) but nothing else?  Never even asks about the rest), I get
all the way up to the FTP install, and after it gets the base list from
the FTP server, out come some bad messages:

Data type 9 not supported
Sending kill signals
Sending term signals

And the Sparc is crashed at this point and requires a power off/on to get
its wits back together.  I have duplicated this on two different FTP
sites, one of which was ftp.redhat.com.

Can anybody tell me what's a data type 9, why is it not supported, and why
is this killing my install?   Or does anybody living near Noborito or
working near Aoyama have a Red Hat Sparc 4.2 CD I can borrow?  If I can't
get this FPT going, I can live with 4.2 until 5.1 is available on CD.

TIA,

Jonathan@example.com :-)

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: