Re: tlug: PHP (was: SQL on the TLUG server)

Jim Schweizer wrote:

[snip]

> OK, I grabbed php-3.0.tar.gz and will start going through the
> docs. It looks like I'll have to use PHP as a module to Apache;
> from the tutorial:

>      Running PHP as a CGI binary could create a serious security
>      problem. Apache allows files -- named .htaccess by
>      default -- to limit access to Web pages to specific
>      IP addresses or to users who supply a valid
>      username-password combination. PHP does not honor .htaccess
>      files,

> So much for the tpj-jp .htaccess restictions.

We gonna change to PHP3 auth. if it runs on the tlug server ;)

> My Apache at home will have to be rebuilt if I'm going to do any
> off-line testing:

>   while (.configure php)

>      checking for Apache module support... no

> Ooopps, guess that's not gonna work;-)

I just double checked on my machine, when you run ./setup you're asked:

Build as an Apache module? ('yes', 'no' or dir)[no] :

Enter the path to your Apache source tree e.g.
/usr/src/apache/apache_1.3.0 not the one to the already compiled binary.

hope that helps

> Hmm, it does the same thing on the TLUG server... Do I have to
> rebuild Apache there as well?

Probably.....

With Apache 1.3 you can hook up modules with out recompiling the httpd.
Though this function is still in a very early stage and not recommended
yet. I did compile PHP3 last week and then recompiled Apache 1.3 with
PHP3 support. I never tried it with 1.2.x, but that shouldn't be any
diffrent.

> And the adventure continues...

Keep me up to date on Jim's adventure in PHP3 jungle...

urs

--
u r s  r o e s c h             h a c h i o j i,  t o k y o
e# urs@example.com                   aim# uru uru 71