RE: tlug: It works!

>    jb> Your institute and just about every other entity in Japan :-)
>
>Not funny.

Perhaps not, but it's pretty accurate.  That practice is very wide-spread in
Japan (and a lot of other places).

>browsers with.  How many large corporate clients base their intranets
>on Linux?

Up until now, not many.  Partly the image thing, partly the central support
thing, and partly the lack of Netscape servers.  Caldera peddles the Linux
version of Netscape Fast Track server, and I remember Tague mentioning in
his talk that he hoped they would be able to get out of the exclusive
agreement they had with Caldera.  If Netscape really sticks to its word and
does put Linux on the same level of NT as one of its first tier OSes, I
think we will see quite a few corporate LANs running Linux in the next
couple of years.  Sun's recent decision to back Linux as an alternative OS
for the low end of the UltraSPARC line is also going to help, I think.

>>From the no. 1 hit album "System Consultants' Basement Tapes", by
>Beavis and Butthead:

If you aren't a writer for them already, you ought to consider moonlighting.
That was quite good :-)

>Sounds to me like you have font problems.  The only think I know of
>that freezes the X server for a long period of time is scaling
>Japanese bitmap fonts.  Use the X font server, that should help.

It does it even in English, though.  Language doesn't seem to matter at all.
If Netscape doesn't use the X font server, what does it use and how do I
make it use the X font server.

Thanks,

Jonathan

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: