Re: tlug: Sparc boot

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

>Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:48:48 +0900
>From: Sean Bennett <sean@example.com>
>To: tlug@example.com
>Subject: Re: tlug: Sparc boot
>
>Jonathan -
>
>Tell me (us) more about your Sparc system - Is it a personal system? Were you able to aquire everything
>used?  Are older Sun/Spark systems to be had fairly reasonably in Akihabara??  Do you plan on running SunOS
>or Linux on it?

I got some stuff used.  I bought a new Sun mouse and had to buy the
keyboard adapter new.  I got the monitor adapter new, but cheap at 2500
yen (don't buy the expensive adapter from Sun if you can get a no-name
one for 2,500 yen instead).  I got a used 340 meg SCSI drive for 3500,
and 6 1-meg 30 pin parity SIMMs for 1300.  Don't know if they are any
good or not yet.  The drive is OK, but the SIMMs are from a junk shop,
so maybe they work, maybe they don't.

Old Sparcstations are ridiculously expensive here.  How about 118,000
for a used SS5.  Saw that one yesterday.  There's a sort of Sun mystique
or something here that keeps the prices for Sparcs incredibly high.  The
same shop with that SS5 had an Ultra 1+ (didn't know there was such a
thing) at 43,000 yen.

I got this Sparc 1+ that I'm working on at the TLUG meeting auction for
3100 yen.  Best deal in Tokyo :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: