Re: tlug: Sparc boot

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Jim Tittsler wrote:

>Don't destroy that one... you'll want the libraries for SunOS emulation once
>you get Linux running.  I'd be inclined to take it out, and move the SCSI ID
>of your 340MB drive to 3... install RedHat, and then put the smaller hard
>disk back in (with some ID other than 3, 6, or 7).

OK.  There's another 105 meg drive that I took out to make room for the
340 drive.  I'll put that one back in instead of the 105 with SunOS on
it.  Of course, that one might also have an OS on it; the drives are not
an exactly matched pair (although they are the same make and model), so
one or both of them might have come from another machine.

Why will I need to emulate SunOS?  I'm really pinched for disk space, so
I had actually planned to utilize one of the small drives (and both,
after I get an external SCSI enclosure).

>Did you try L1-A (aka Stop-A)?  That is the normal key sequence to get
>to the boot ROM.

I didn't notice anything in the Red Hat instructions or in John Little's
article in Linux Journal that mentioned that (maybe everyone just
assumes that anyone with a Sparcstation knows this :-)   ), but it
certainly sounds
like it's worth a try.  Question: I have a 106-key Japanese PC keyboard
plugged into a Sun PC keyboard interface.  What's the equivalent key
combination on a PC keyboard?

>(I can provide you with a BIOS quick reference guide that Professor Little
>was kind enough to distribute... if you want to know more than you need to. :-)

Sure!  Inquiring minds wanna know :-)  Thanks!

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: