Re: tlug: alert-WIPO bill

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Manuel Chakravarty wrote:

>Not that I am in favour of the bill, but -- as far as I
>understand -- the only thing it might do to open source is
>promote it.  It doesn't stop anyone from finding security
>holes...it only prevents you from doing it without the
>consent of the copyright owner.

Well, one of the things specifically cited that would become illegal if
the bill is passed would be the recent discovery of the security whole
in Microsoft's VPN tunneling protocol.  That would be a prosecutable
offense if it was done without Microsoft's permission.  And guess how
likely it is that any software vendor (well, maybe RSA) will go around
granting such permission?  It will apparently also make sites that find
and report security issues illegal.

On the link that was posted for info on the bill, there are a great many
other links to news sources about it.

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>