Re: tlug: Success of Windows

You know, I think we would all agree that the only reason there are more
people running Win95 on the machines, and not running something else is
advertising.  If Apple had adobted an agressive advertising plan early
on (and probably released the source code) I don't think they would be
in the shape they are today.

The number one problem as I see it, people use Windows at home which is
fine by me, but don't come to the workplace and tell me that this is the
best OS for an office environment, because it's not.

Linux/Unix can and has started to become more and more popular.  As long
as there are individuals and/or distributors who will provide support
and quality products (i.e. not RH5.0) people will migrate to it.

If you want to see a window manager that has the potential to put
Linux/Unix on the average user's home desktop, seriously take a look at
KDE.  I'm not saying it's right for persons who like to do the things we
do, however, with a little more work on the 'user configuration section'
it really does stand a chance.  Furthermore, it runs on Linux, FreeBSD,
Solaris, and several other Unix platforms.

Anyway, got to go to an appointment.  Just wanted to contribute my 2
cents.

Blaine

--
Alan B. Stone