tlug: Success of Windows

>>In article <Pine.LNX.3.96LJ1.1b7.980625163951.1656G-100000@example.com>, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com> writes:

> The success of the Macintosh and of Windows in the marketplace really
> has very little to do with the quality of the code or the stability of
> the OS, two areas where Linux (and indeed UNIX in general) wins hands
> down.  They succeeded because of the GUIs they have (and Microsoft
> marketing muscle, in the case of Windows).

Windows succeeded because way back when, Unix machines were too
expensive, and Apple kept such tight control of their platform that no
one else could clone the hardware.  There was no other practical
choice for desktops, and Microsoft rode IBM's coattails, then Compaq's
coattails when IBM tried to steer the market towards MicroChannel, and
Intel's compatibility coattails ever since.

I don't remember when Windows 3.1 became available, but up until then
Mickeysoft success rode the DOS wagon.  I don't see the Windows GUI as
being any kind of key to success, other than being *a* GUI.  It could
have been customizable to a fare-thee-well and it wouldn't have made
any difference in its success.

IMHO of course :-)

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@example.com
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: