tlug: Netscape Vs. /etc/hosts

Does anybody know if Netscape ignores /etc/hosts on Linux?

We have private networks for out office machines, with some in Osaka and
some in Tokyo.  Tokyo is the 192.168.2 network, and Osaka is 192.168.1.
I put the IP address of one of the machines on the Osaka network into my
/etc/hosts file with the FQDN of sparc1.threeweb.ad.jp, and the nickname
of sparc1.  Pinging it and telnetting to it work fine, but Netscape is a
no-go.  I have to put in its IP address to get Netscape to find it.

The guy who has that machine says it works fine with Solaris Netscape.
Is there just something else I have to do here to make it work on Linux,
or is this a no-go?

TIA,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section