Re: tlug: CD-RW

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Domenico Carlucci wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I bought a CD-RW Yamaha and a SCSI card for my laptop.
>
> I installed it on W95, but it doesn't work.
> I can read any CD-Rom inside, but I can't write or format anything.
>
> Now, I'm going to install it on Linux and I do not know actually
> which drivers I should use, when I compile teh kernel.
>
> But first, I have a doubt: the CD-RW device has two ports on the back
> and I connected the ScSi card to port 1. What about the other port?
> Should it be closed with a hat?

Actually, a SCSI terminator would work better :)

Anyway, under Linux, make sure your kernel is compiled with SCSI Generic
support (or you have it as a loadable module - load it!).  Then, just get,
install, and configure cdrecord, and that should be all you need to do.
Although you'll need to terminate your SCSI bus before I'd expect anything
to work.  That's probably why it won't work with Win95 either.

> thank you,
>
> Domenico Carlucci
> Next Nomikai: 17 July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 8 August, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30
> featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
> i386, Sparc, PA-Risc, Amiga, SGI, Alpha, PalmPilot, ...
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: