Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?

Manuel Chakravarty wrote:

You have to really ask yourself, are any of the Linux distributors
really interested in building a GUI that will rival WINNT?  I don't
think so.  If they are working on it, they really have a long way to
go.  Just take a look at several of the "preconfigured" GUIs that come
along with RH5.1, and if you and I aren't impressed the average user
won't be either.  I believe there are groups out there working on it,
but none of them have really stand a chance (GUI wise).

There are a couple of options.  Linux distributors package CDE in a
business pack.  I know several of you stated you don't like Motif,
however, look at all the other Unix packages on the market.  You want to
compete....look the same but outperform, that's the winning game plan.

The other option that I think could have a chance is KDE.  I used it on
and off, and I think it really could be standardize to fit in a business
environment.  Let's be honest.  I like WindowMaker, AfterStep, FVWM2,
etc., but do you really think (take a look at some of the themes pages
for each) that they would work in a business environment?

That's my two cents.  I just finished a Solaris 2.6/x86 install over 25
systems...then was told today to go back on several of them and reload
Windoze95.  (Any of you have children?)  As Mercer Mayer would say, "I
was soooo mad...."  I have four business days left in Japan prior to my
move, and I'm still working on this problem.  I wouldn't be here if he
had agreed in the beginning to install Linux, or for that matter FreeBSD
on the systems.

Well, talk to you later.

Blaine

--