Re: tlug: "platform independence" opportunities

On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 12:57:09PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >Plat'home has some Alphastation 200s.  These are
> doubtlessly very slow by
> >today's standards (a 21164 at 100MHz I believe)... but
No, it is the old 21064 at 100MHz.
http://www.workstation.digital.com/products/a200.html
(except these are the slower 4/100 version)

> I'm not too familiar with Alpha machines, but this sounds
> interesting.  Performance-wise, what level of Intel-based
> machine would you guess this is roughly comparable to?

A medium to fast 486 (although the floating point is considerably better,
probably about Pentium 75~90 level).

> Other Alpha questions: what kind of cable do they use to
> connect to the monitor?  Would I need an adapter cable or
> can I plug my PC monitor right in?

I'm not sure if Linux supports the 21030 video subsystem.  I think NetBSD
does.  You could plug in a supported PCI VGA card.

> I didn't see anything about those Alphastation 200s on
> Plat'home's web site.  Do you recall how much memory/hard
> drive they had?

No, sorry.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo     ICQ: 5981586   AIM: Jim7J1AJH

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: