tlug: ppp works beautifully thanks to everyone's help, but...

How do I get smail to get my mail off the server?
ISP account:  fwiw3980@example.com
Linux box account:  esstand@example.com

I have been able to successfully use mailq and the sendmail -q commands to
send a message from root@example.com to my fwiw3980 account on infoweb...  I
cannot retrieve mail from it though.

Is it because I have to alias fwiw3980 to esstand on my machine?  Or are
there a bucketload of things to change?

Also, trying to use popclient to retrieve mail from my e-w.standlee@example.com
account gives me errors:  doPOP3:  socket:  Unknown error and one other
similar one too.

I found a script in /etc/ppp called ip-up (with cousin ip-down).  I added
mailq, popclient and poff each on separate lines, and it seemed to handle it
great.  I type pon and then it logs on mailq's, popclient's and poff's for
me!!!

Now, if only I knew how to make smail and popclient get my mail.

Also, I have to do all of my connection stuff as root.  Is that right?
Shouldn't I be able to pon as esstand???

TIA,
Eric S. Standlee
Kashihara-shi <Kintetsu Yamato Yagi>
Nara, Japan
e-w.standlee@example.com

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html