Re: tlug: IPA (evolving from the topic: Japanese input)

Karl-Max Wagner writes:
 > passband is 300 Hz.....3400 Hz, thus a total bandwidth of 3.1
 > kHz. 8 kHz is the sampling rate used for digitizing in phone
Right
 > bandwidth. When I'm on OSCAR, I use a rig with a mechanical
I believe OSCAR is amateur satellite.
 > since 1984....quite a lot of that in Japanese....and my RX uses
RX is Receiver.

Anyway my point is as follows:

Consider that human brain and voice consitutes a sort of
modem.
The actual modem uses 2400Hz as base frequency, then modulates
to carry 20 times to 30 times the frequency Bit/Sec. So
let's say a human modem has 660Hz as base frequency like A
in the octave and not so efficient to carry one time the
base frequency Bit/Sec. This results in 660bps.
This is far worse than
 > chat rather comfily using such brutal compression ( down to 2
 > kBit/s or less ).
Then Alphabets has letters less than 32 not counting
cases. So let's say one letter has 5bit. And let's say human
can say one word a second and a word consists of 5 letters
in average. So the text throughput is 25bps. This is less
than 5% of a human modem. Then what is he using for the rest
of 95% channel capability? Part of it is body language that
is not well processed by computers and may compensate for
text language shortcomings. Although there is a lie
detecting software available.
And the mail list just carries text part because it is thru
computer processing. This is I thought why the band width is narrow in
a sense.

 > > So in my conclusion, The redneck style and narrow bandwidth
 > > of the mail list tend to heat up uncharacteristic of other
 > > media. It is just easy to be carried away.
 > That's what I stated some months ago on this list.....

So in my conclusion, people tend to make argument without
trying to understand what they are quoting by just seeing
another aspect of the quotation. This also adds momentum to
heating-up arguments.

I used to take this personally and become upset. But, now I
see this is universal phenomenum.

Regards,
Kei.

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html