Re: tlug: IPA (evolving from the topic: Japanese input)

> communiction means the telephone, the telephone has the
> bandwidth of 8khz. This pretty states information throughput.
No, phones are a lot worse than that. The specified phone
passband is 300 Hz.....3400 Hz, thus a total bandwidth of 3.1
kHz. 8 kHz is the sampling rate used for digitizing in phone
systems. Actually, you can get along with a a much lower
bandwidth. When I'm on OSCAR, I use a rig with a mechanical
filter with 1.73 kHz bandwidth. This works well, but you lose a
lot of personal voice characteristics that way. However, you can
chat away very well with that ( I know, because I've doing that
since 1984....quite a lot of that in Japanese....and my RX uses
such a filter, too ).
> So it seems that the communicator sends not only texts which
> are able to be processed by computers, but also body
> languages using the rest of channel capacity, which is not
Not much, actually. You can compress voice brutally until it
sounds robot-like, but it is still intelligible. You even can
chat rather comfily using such brutal compression ( down to 2
kBit/s or less ).
> So in my conclusion, The redneck style and narrow bandwidth
> of the mail list tend to heat up uncharacteristic of other
> media. It is just easy to be carried away.
That's what I stated some months ago on this list.....

Ah, if somebody wonders, my ham call is DB8CO, and I'm ex 7J1ADO

                               Karl-Max Wagner
                               karlmax@example.com
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html