Re: tlug: MI/X PC X server (VNC alternative)

On 16-Jun-98 Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 02:50:01PM +0900, nemossan@example.com wrote:
>> Because both Win95j-s are equipted 2-button-mice, thus it was not so
>> comfprtable to use in X.  Futher display speed were rather slow
>
> I was also unhappy with some display elements proving to be invisible
> when I tried to use MI/X.

I used to use a program called xwin from Starnet communications.

        http://www.starnet.com

Their X-server is a commercial product but they have a demo version available.
The demo that I used was fully functional and not time limited but it was
limited to running one copy on any individual subnet. The University bought 50
licences for this for something like $500 - there was a large educational
discount. The web page says that an indivual license costs $200 though.

The program seemed to work reasonably well. I don't remember any major
problems.

David

Dr. David Dibben
National Food Research Institute
2-1-2 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8642. Japan
Tel: +81 298 38 8029
Fax: +81 298 38 8122
E-Mail: dibben@example.com

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html