Re: tlug: IPA (evolving from the topic: Japanese input)

Kei Furuuchi wrote:
> When I said that kanji complex tends to sound same, I missed
> the other aspect of voice communication. When voice
> communiction means the telephone, the telephone has the
> bandwidth of 8khz. This pretty states information throughput.
> So it seems that the communicator sends not only texts which
> are able to be processed by computers, but also body
> languages using the rest of channel capacity, which is not
> able to be processed by computer. This tends to compensate
> kanji shortcomings.

	Yes, yes, I think so too.
	Even computer scientists sometimes try to look at (in a sense
appreciate) natural phenomena to collect true random numbers (using
sensors connected to their ISA slots). :-) Furthermore, they are still
concenred about the randomness of the collected data (including errors
due to big-bang?). The world that can be digitized or processed
digitally is just a limited one still now, howerver important it is
becoming day to day. It is impossible to view things just from the
digitized view points. Our lives and our culture is much greater, and
multi-layered phenomena.

> But, if the voice communication is business-like, the
> communicators tend to suppress body languages.
> When the other end of line said to me "great", I didn't know
> how to interpret. Did she mean it or sarcastic?

	Yes, it's something I often experience when talking on the phone.

> So in my conclusion, The redneck style and narrow bandwidth
> of the mail list tend to heat up uncharacteristic of other
> media. It is just easy to be carried away.
>
> And you could lose sleep over it.

	Still, it's funny (and in a sense very valuable) to talk about whether
we should abolish kanji or not. Better or worse, now we have the rare
opportunity to talk about the very issue in this mailing list! Linux
gave us the opportunity.

Regards,

--Taro
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html