tlug: Job openings at 3Web

If any TLUGgers are interested, we currently have some job
openings at 3Web for support reps and also for network
operations people.  The support openings are in Osaka (and
maybe Tokyo, I'm not sure right now), and there are openings
for network people in both Osaka and Tokyo.  Our
headquarters are in Osaka.

The support rep positions will require native or near-native
Japanese, along with solid knowledge of either Windows 95
(preferably) or MacOS.  Linux/UNIX knowledge is a plus but
not a requirement (but I'd be happy to see more Linux users
working here :-)   ).

The Japanese level needed for the network ops positions
would be high intermediate to advanced, but not as high as
for support reps.  You should be able to talk about
computers in Japanese, including on the phone, with other
network ops people.  For example, I used to work in network
operations when I first joined 3Web and sometimes still help
them out when they're shorthanded, and I'm at level 2
(barely :-)   ) on the Japanese proficiency test.  If you
would feel comfortable working in an all-Japanese language
environment and going to a job interview held completely in
Japanese, your level should be fine.

The network ops positions are ideal for people into UNIX.
Most of our servers are Sun and Silicon Graphics machines,
and we have a few (news servers, etc.) running FreeBSD.
Knowledge of TCP/IP networking is desirable, and these
positions will often entail on-site work at 3Web dial-up
access points.

That's good because if you're spending your whole day out of
the office doing on-site network stuff, there's no need to
put on a suit and tie :-)  Duties in these positions may
include server administration, physical setting up of access
points, etc.  Knowledge of Windows 95/NT would be a moderate
plus but isn't essential.  Windows is basically just a
desktop OS here.  Our servers all are, and will continue to
be, UNIX.

If you are interested, you can drop me line if you have any
questions, drop me a line at work (jq@example.com)
and I'll let you know where to send your resume.  Resumes
must be in Japanese, but also including an English version
wouldn't hurt.

I'd love to see more Linux people working at 3Web (I think
I'm pretty much the only one), so I hope a TLUGger will be
coming on board :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html