Re: tlug: 128 bit encryption

From: Rob Bickel <rob@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: 128 bit encryption
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:32:45 +0900 (JST)

rob> On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:
rob>
rob> > Hello,
rob> > I was trying to simplify transactions with a U.S. firm in the
rob> > the U.S. and am required to have a browser with 128bit encryption.
rob> > They're saying Netscape, but I guess it could be any browser
rob> > that support 128bit encryption.  I think that a 128bit version of Linux
rob> > exists.  However, I can't download it because the reverse DNS seems
rob> > to be actually verifying the country that the IP corresponds to.
rob> > You have to be in the U.S. and be a U.S. citizen to download the
rob> > 128 bit version right now.  Or, at least this is what the download
rob> > directions say.  Is this law still in effect?  I thought the government
rob> > had seen the light on this issue?
rob>
rob> You are right that the reverse DNS does seem to be detecting the .jp, so
rob> it is pretty hard to get it here.  Unless of course you have an account
rob> on a US server (Of course I would never advocate this :) ), but you can
rob> download netscape to your US server, and then ftp from there.  Of course
rob> I would never do something that illegal.  :)  Although if you still can't
rob> get the 128 bit encrypted netscape, let me know.  I may be able to do
rob> something about that.  Nothing illegal of course.

Hello,
I have the software that I need to do the job.

Out of technical curiousity, is it possible to download the 128bit encryption
Netscape from their site with Lynx?  If Lynx does not work, a person would
have run an X-client on a remote machine and have it display on their local
X-server.  Then, Netscape could be used to download the software to a remote
server.

I'm still kind of curious as to why the U.S. has this law when it forces
encryption stuff to be developed in Australia, Europe, and other
places.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html