tlug: Widget kits and (X)Emacs (IM is not the only "jama" to using toolkits)

Attached is an excerpt from an interview with RMS.  This is one of the
myriad reasons why Emacsen don't come with a standard independently
developed widget kit, except Motif, which has a specific exemption
from the FSF for some reason (probably because it is the standard
system software on many OSF systems).

Not directly related to Japanese input methods, but ...

---- Begin included message ----
>From an RMS interview:

http://some.net/transcripts/rms-19980613-gnu.log

<lilo> there's been a lot of recent discussion about the whole
<lilo> business with Qt and KDE....I had wanted to ask you, if you
<lilo> could, to talk about that whole business just because it
<lilo> encouraged someone to use GNU/Linux.

<rms> Qt is a library which appears to be technically useful, but is
<rms> not free software.  Like all the other non-free programs out
<rms> there, it's outside of the free software community.  KDE is a
<rms> free program which was developed so that it needs Qt in order to
<rms> run.  This has a paradoxical result: although KDE is free
<rms> software, it is useless as an addition to a free operating
<rms> system, because there is no way to run it on a free operating
<rms> system.  In order to run KDE, you need to add Qt, which means
<rms> that the operating system is no longer entirely free.

<rms> The KDE developers thought that they would "get the job done
<rms> faster" if they used Qt--but the real result is that the wrong
<rms> job got done.  It's like saying, "we can build this segment of
<rms> track faster if we don't make it connect with the other
<rms> segment". Maybe so, but if it doesn't connect, you don't have a
<rms> railroad that works.

<lilo> okay, for some of our participants who are maybe not clear on
<lilo> the problem with the Qt license....I don't want to take a lot
<lilo> of questions on this, but could you tell us what, in your
<lilo> opinion, "breaks" the Qt license as free software?

<rms> I would have to look at the Qt license again; it has been
<rms> several months since I looked, and I don't remember.

<lilo> okay, let's see....

<rms> I think it was either that it is limited to noncommercial
<rms> distrbution only or that distribution of modified versions is
<rms> not allowed, or both.

* lilo nods

<rms> Either kind of restriction makes a program non-free; I just
<rms> don't remember for certain which of these restrictions Qt has.

<rms> By the way, the Qt license says it gives permission to link Qt
<rms> with GPL-covered programs; however, if you actually do that, you
<rms> would violate the GPL.

<rms> If the authors of a GPL-covered program want to give permission
<rms> for linking it with Qt, they can do so.

<lilo> so regardless of the flaws you see in it, it just simply
<lilo> doesn't work connecting it to the GPL

<rms> It's clear that the authors of KDE mean to permit this, for
<rms> example, so it is permitted *for KDE*.  But if you wanted to
<rms> link Emacs with Qt you would have to ask permission from the
<rms> FSF, and I can tell you that the answer would be no.  The
<rms> purpose of releasing Emacs under the GPL is so that it can't be
<rms> mixed with non-free software.  Extended versions of Emacs must
<rms> be free software.

---- End included message ----