Re: tlug: ppp again

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 11:06:34PM +0900, Eric Standlee wrote:
> I got an external modem set up and pppd via pon and poff working.  But, how
> do I get smail to send and receive the mail?  I use a pop3 server.  I tried
> popclient and it said that it couldn't find the server and couldn't
> connect.  Following is the ppp.log:

The problem would appear to be in your popclient configuration rather than
PPP, so the log you provided doesn't give us the right hints.  'smail' will
be *sending* your mail, with 'popclient' *receiving* (or perhaps more
accurately *fetching*) your mail.

The first thing to find out is why popclient can't find the server.  It may
be that your DNS (host name to IP address mapping service) is not set up
correctly.  For example, while connected several people have suggested
telnetting to your POP server.  If that fails... try telneting to the
IP address of your POP server rather than its name.  If that succeeds,
that means you have a DNS problem.

For a sporadically connected host, setting up a pointer to a remote DNS
server typically means that you make sure that /etc/resolv.conf contains
lines like:
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the numeric IP address of your ISP's name server
(and that line can be repeated to specify fallback nameservers).

When the PPP connection establishes the IP link, it will execute the script
/etc/ppp/ip-up (which in turn will probably execute /etc/ppp/ip-up.local, or
a number of individual scripts in an /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory).  Inside
that script, you can put commands that cause smail to "run its queue" and
send out waiting mail and cause popclient (or fetchmail, which I highly
recommend) to pick up your mail from remote POP (or IMAP4) servers.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo     ICQ: 5981586   AIM: Jim7J1AJH
Tokyo PC Users Group Akihabara Tour, Sunday, June 21  http://www.tpc.ml.org/

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html