RE: tlug: Re: Japanese input

I thought I might chime in here...

> > I'd like what discussions went on back in the Middle Realm of
> > Egypt 3000 years ago when they started trashing their Kanji
> > system........

	Most of them were along the lines of "We are Christians.  You are
Pagans.  You must stop drawing images of false gods and learn to read our
books in our language, or we will kill you." *accompanied by much burning
and destruction of artifacts*

	For similiar reasons, I have fairly negative views on the conversion
of Vietnamese to a latin-based script, which was done by French missionaries
attempting to mold the language into something that was easier for _them_ to
read and spread their propoganda in.

	However, notice that there are proposals to get these scripts --
Hieroglyphics, Cuneiform, etc., into Unicode.  Even if we _were_ able to
suddenly stop using Kanji today, there would still be a "historical need" to
use them on computers, so there would still need to be work on support,
input methods, etc.  You're just slightly changing the audience who needs to
use this software.

	Craig (olinskyc@example.com)
	-- not speaking for intel

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html