Re: tlug: Re: Japanese input

> kanji usage is redundancy in the meaning. Also the kanji complex is
> hard to decipher when spoken. So I guess they are only useful because
You say it. How often are Furigana necessary to know the
prononciation of a placename.....
> It seems some of people do not like using Japanese writing system  out
> of habit either so I like to propose Japanese Description Language
> which does not use Kanji simply replacing Kanji with sematically same
> English word. It goes like this:
>
> Whey I say this in Japanese writing system, it is written as follows:
>
> $B>]$5$s$NI!$OD9$$!#(B
>
> In JDL:
>
> Elephant sann no nose ha long i.
A bit unusual but certainly deserves consideration. In fact,
it's somewhat how the French do things: pronuciation and
spelling often have not much connection.....
> Then Make them sound same because the words are kanji replacements.
> So now elephant is pronunced as zou and elephant.
> Long is pronunced as chou, naga, and long. I should add chou because
> it is needed in kanji complex replacement like in long-short which
> should be pronunced chou-tann.
Maybe going as far as using English words isn't that necessary.
How about different spelling of homophones. This is regularly
done in English and French. Maybe orthography gets a bit
involved that way, but it's definitely a solution.
> So I think the solution is this easy if you can break a habit.
100 % agreed.
> Even I think core word of Japanese can be replaced.
Maybe even not necessary ( see above ). Maybe studying the
current Vietnamese system could provide some additional
insights.
> This replacement does not threat Japanese because the grammer of
> Japanese is much different from Chinese or English so it does not
> matter.
Actually, it is not that easy to threat a language.
> think this is the reason French government values their own language
> and feels threat using English. This is not case with
Not really. Historically, England and France haven't been very
good friends, to say the least. Actually, there is no threat to
French.
> Japanese. Because the grammer is so different, importing words does
> not threat Japanese. So why not make English replacement of kanji for
Actually, Japanese is full of imported words and still well and
alive :-)
> If you allow me a political crap of mine, Japan is losing population
> fast and is going to force burden on younger generation. Sooner or
> lator Japan has to admit immigration more easily or there will be the
Not only because of that. Foreign people come with different
ideas and might make them work in Japan to the benefit of all
involved.
> So in my conclusion, even changing education to abolish is not goint to
> happen in my option, the alternative writing system is possible and
> needed by market demand somehow in future. You can see that in
> internet.
EXACTLY !!!!! You put it in a nutshell. Thanks a lot !

Actually, I appreciate your idea. I see some rough spots in your
concept, but never mind. This IS an idea into the right
direction, and it is rather original. I don't like that "It is
impossible" stuff a lot. There is always a way, you just have to
find it.

You also seem to grasp the importance of the Internet very well.
The trick with the Internet is that it comes with its own, very
specific culture. With the proliferation of the Internet, this
culture is gonna be pumped in literally everywhere. Existing
cultures will be strongly influenced by this, weak ones might
even disappear completely.

In "The Hacker Crackdown" Bruce Sterling wrote the following
about the Internet in 1993:
"By stark contrast, the Internet, a noncommercial entity which
officially did not even exist, had no advertising budget at all.
And yet, almost below the level of governmental and corporate
awareness, the Internet was stealthily devouring everything in
its path, growing at a rate that defied comprehension."

I think nobody could put it better.

                              Karl-Max Wagner
                              karlmax@example.com
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station