RE: tlug: Printing Japanese text in (X)emacs

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Kei Furuuchi wrote:

> Probably it is easy to send command thru lpr. I don't know how to send
> mail to fax thru sendmail especially when a fax modem is a modem that
> is connected to ISP thru diald and pppd. How sendmail suspends diald
> and pppd to send a fax?

Oh, OK, that clarifies things.  I'm sorry if I miss understood the
original question.  This I can answer :-)  You can't do that. To send a
fax through the modem, you have to disconnect from the ISP and send your
fax, then re-connect.  If you want an always-on fax line, you could use a
setup similar to what I used to run: a fax modem plugged into an analog
port on an ISDN TA.  My ISP connections were all done through the TA, and
the fax modem was on another serial port as a 7 x 24 fax number using the
dial-in number on my ISDN line.

You could also do this with two POTS lines, of course, but it's much
cheaper to do it with ISDN.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station