tlug: KPCA 6/17/98 meeting

WEB ADDRESS!  <http://www.kpca.org/>  Check it out!

  *** ================================================ ***
  ***  Kansai Professional Computing Association News  ***
  *** ================================================ ***

          JUNE PRESENTATION:
  Title:  Automatic Speech Translation at ATR
Speaker:  Ben Reaves, Manager/Researcher Software Development Group
	  ATR Interpreting Telecommunications Laboratory
   Time:  Wednesday, June 17th, 1998, 7:00 - 9:00 pm
   Site:  Club KARMA's event hall, 5 minutes from Osaka JR
          No charge for MEMBERS.

Imagine talking into a microphone in English and having your desktop
computer computer translate and say it in Japanese.  Until recently, this
was only science fiction.

Traditionally, research in the fields of Speech Recognition, Machine
Translation, Speech Synthesis, and Dialogue Control have been conducted
pretty much independently of each other.  ATR is the first lab to seriously
look into creating robust solutions to overcome problems associated of
bringing these fields together.

Mr.Ben Reaves will talk about ATR's speech translation system project,
ATR-Matrix.  He'll describe how his group is integrating software from each
field
(recognition, translation, synthesis, dialogue control) and will provide
demonstrations of the working translation system.

Mr. Ben Reaves, http://www.hip.atr.co.jp/~ben graduated from the University
of Southern California before going to graduate school at Stanford
University.  Since 1985 he has worked in software development for speech
processing. Mr. Reaves now manages the Technical Support Group Software
Development Team at ATR Interpreting Telecommunications Laboratory in
Kyoto. His group recently completed a speech translation system between
Japanese and English that can be used to make hotel room reservations. He
has lived in Japan since 1989, and is very fluent in Japanese reading and
speaking.

PRICE: Through special arrangements with Club KARMA, the meeting fee is
FREE for paid up annual members, others: 2000 yen. Drinks/food will be
available starting at 300/600 yen.  Invite your friends!

SPEAKERS SOUGHT! The KPCA is looking for speakers for future meetings. Come
promote your pet project/product, your career.

Email any/all response to:
Dennis Grass, KPCA-President

RESPONSE PLEASE! FORM

__  I can probably attend on Wednesday, June 17 (Automated Speech Translation)
__  Oops, I'm busy on the 20th. Please keep me informed of future events.
__  I can probably attend on Wednesday, July 22 (this date might change)
__  KPCA plans to have summer holiday on August 19

__  Yes!  I am interested in speaking at a KPCA meeting.
        My proposed topic:

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station