tlug: August Meeting Topics?

Hello,
the June meeting is scheduled for this Saturday, the 13th.  The
meeting is at a new place.  HSBC moved across the street.   We're
still looking for volunteers for setup.  The setup is being done the
morning of the meeting.  If you're interested in helping out,
join the tlug-admin mailing list.

We're looking for a topic for the August meeting.  A mixed processor
(HP PA-RISC, Sparc, Alpha, Motorola68K, in addition to Intel) topic
is one idea.

I would like to solicit opinions for another idea, GUI environments
for Linux, concentrating on
	1) GNOME	http://www.gnome.org
	2) KDE		http://www.kde.org
	3) CDE

My idea is to focus on the novice with some overview on the structure
of these environments.  I'm running GNOME and KDE on my system and
they seem usuable now.  I think that by August, they should be
in more general use.  The philosophy of these environments is different
than that of a window manager.  So, they are not in the same category
as things such as fvwm, twm, mwm, afterstep, wm, or the dozens of
other window managers.  GNOME in particular, is made to run with a
window manager such as fvwm.  For those of you that have not tried
GNOME, you maybe wondering what it does.  If it is not a window manager,
what is it?  While, there are many cool technical things about it, I think
that it will be useful to demo it to people and just show them the features.

This is just one possibe idea for the meeting topic.  I thought it might
be good, because IMHO both KDE and GNOME will really help to make Linux
more accessible to a wider audience.  There are also numerous Japanese
support issues that people should be aware of and start thinking,
"gee, maybe I'll help fix that."  :-)

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station