Re: tlug: June 13 Meeting

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Walters <rex@example.com>

>If there's a PC available with a SCSI port I'm willing to
bring my disk
>and CDs for any morning session ....

For the morning session, we're sort of locked-in as to what
the demo installs are going to be, since we need to install
them on machines that will A) Be used for the Deb Vs. RPM
drive-by shooti ^H^H^H demonstration :-)  and B) These boxes
are going to become permanent TLUG-use machines.  But do
bring your Debian 1.3 CD, just in case there's a problem
with Hamm or anything.  You may get to see an unscheduled
1.3 install (I think another will be available, but you know
you can't have too many backups :-)    ).  There might be an
install of MK Linux on an HP, but I'm not sure what the
current status is on that.

If you want to do or watch an extra install onto your SCSI
disk later, feel free to gather up any people who want to
watch and have at it.  I don't know if any of the Intel
boxes have SCSI on them or not, though (Joe, do they?).  If
they don't, feel free to leave your disk with us until we
get a SCSI card ;-)

>try to download stampede and debian 2.0 and burn a cd
before this
>weekend too (17 GB on my home machine has me gaga for stuff
to put

Stampede would be interesting to see.  It'd be nice to see
if what the say about the optimization for Pentium-class
chips boils down to a *noticeable* speed increase or not.

>I'll also return the CDE disk I borrowed from the TLUG
library (finally!).

Y'know, I'd been thinking I'd seen one of those at my first
meeting, back in December :-)  Now that I've been appointed
Special Representative to the Entertainment Committee (that
means I volunteered to drive us to Food King ^H^H^H, um, I
mean I volunteered to be the TLUG librarian :-)    ), I'm
going to actually try to catalog this stuff.  My dream is to
someday have a notebook-based bar code scanner system with a
database where we can just check the stuff in and out really
easily.  The biggest obstacle here is that I don't have a
notebook computer, so for quite a while this is literally
going to be notebook-driven :-)

>P.S.  Anybody else look at the cute little Cobalt Cube at

They are currently being localized for Japan, and apparently
we (3Web) are going to be some kind of a reseller for them.
Or at least that's the scuttlebutt I hear.  Since I heard it
from my boss, I guess it's probably accurate :-)  I'm
happy - that will be the first penetration of Linux into
3Web (FreeBSD has something of a foothold, though) apart
from the computer on my desk.

Cheers,

Jonathan

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station