Re: tlug: Pilot<>Linux Connection

Hello.

1) I've installed Kpilot under KDE on Red Hat 5.0 and can't get the
synchronization of the address book to work properly.  This is what
I wanted to do most.  I've gone back to using pilot-xfer and xcopilot.
I now input long address entries into xcopilot with my keyboard, fetch
the address book with

   $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyqe -f AddressDB

   (connects to xcopilot)

using a pseudo serial connection, then do an install over a real
serial connection on /dev/ttyS2 with

   $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS2 -i AddressDB.pdb

   (connects to real pilot)

Does anyone actually use kpilot and find it more efficient than pilot-xfer?

2) Japanese <=> English dictionary on pilot

I've downloaded KDIC from monash, but have not installed it yet.

<< What's KDIC >>

KDIC is Dictionary software can display Japanese Kanji character.
(Of course, you need to install J-OS to display Kanji character :-)

You can use PDIC 1-line text format dictionary, so you can choose
various dictionary uploaded on NiftyServe (Japanese BBS).
Some English -> Japanese dictionary (already compressed && formatted as
binary '.pdb' format) is also available on Internet, so I recommend
to use these first.

By compression (from my experience), compression ratio is about 60%
(100K -> 60K) with typical English -> Japanese dictionary.
I'm using 'Kojiro-V3' (available dictionary on NiftyServe)
Level-1 ... Level-7 as dairy work, this dictionary have 12497 word,
but only 750K byte memory is used for this dictionary.

Index for search is generated for each 4Kbyte chunk from dictionary.
So search speed is fairly good with huge (over 1M byte ?) dictionary.

After melting KDIC008.zip, you have :
    kdic.prc     -- kdic program itself
    gendic.exe   -- DOS program to generate KDIC format binary dictionary
    compdic.exe  -- Compression program (invoked from gendic.exe)
    readme.txt   -- How to use KDIC / How to generate dictionary
    register.txt -- How to register KDIC (shareware registration)
    kdic.pdb     -- Veeerrrryyy tiny dictionary for first trial of KDIC
    test.txt     -- Text format file of 'kdic.pdb' (tiny E->J dictionary)
    readme.eng   -- English Version of readme.txt
    register.eng -- English Version of register.txt

I've never tried it, can someone do an evaluation if it works.

3.)  Handwriting recognition
JStroke 1.2 handles kanji pen input.  I've never tried it.

   http://www.wellscs.com/pilot/index.htm

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station