Re: tlug: printer problems

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>

>I've seen color inkjets in Shinjuku for sale for under 2万
円.

However, those printers aren't very good, so I wouldn't
recommend one unless price is a major problem.  They're slow
and require you to change the cartridge for black printing,
since they only mount cartridges one-up.

For about 45,000 yen you can get the 1440 x 720 DPI Epson,
or a 720 x 720 DPI Epson for probably somewhat less.  I
understand Epsons work fairly well under Linux.  HP Deskjets
are always a sound option too.  I've had my Deskjet 850c
since 1995 and have never had a problem with it.  My only
gripe is that the color print density is only 600 x 300, so
photos don't come out all that well.  Black and white
printing is 600 x 600, though, and looks fabulous.

Shop around and see which printer works for you, but get one
that mounts the color and black cartridges at the same time
if at all possible, unless you can really live with swapping
cartridges and having composite black on pages with color
printing.

(Somebody confirm this, but) I believe you can't use a
printer made for an NEC PC98 machine with a standard
computer, so be sure to get a DOS/V and Windows compatible
printer.  They will all connect to a standard parallel port.

You could probably sell the Windows printer (probably not to
any TLUGgers, though :-)  ) and recover some of the cost of
getting a new printer.

Jonathan

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station