tlug: printer problems

Yep, I figured out that my printer is a windows printer.  I bought it last
year without thinking.

My question is:  the help file on the Win95 driver states that I can print
to a file and then copy that to LPT1 in DOS.  If this is so, why can I not
do that in Linux?  Is the printer driver loading even in DOS?

Another question:  Can something created in Linux be printed to a file on a
vfat partition and then printed in Win95?  Is there a better way than this?

I was also thinking about installing the printer driver and printer on my
laptop, networking my laptop running win3.1 with the desktop running Linux
and print spool to the laptop via Samba.  But, I noticed that the HOWTO on
Samba (Print2 Win) only mentions Win95 and NT...  Anything there?

Beyond all of that, I guess that the only other solution is to buy another
printer for Linux.  Are there any cheap places out here in Nara, or Osaka
that you Tokyo guys know of?  And, will buying a printer here in Japan for
a American system mean that I have to ask questions regarding the
compatibility with my system?  In other words, do the plugs and things
match up with the American standards?  I was told that there was a problem
with NEC/Fujitsu and other printers not being able to be used because of
such problem...

TIA,
Eric S. Standlee
e-w.standlee@example.com
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor:

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station