Re: Japanese input (was RE: tlug: Japanese)

From: "Matthew J. Francis" <asbel@example.com>
Subject: Re: Japanese input  (was RE: tlug: Japanese)
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:35:38 +0100 (BST)

asbel> A worthy plan. When do we start? :)
asbel> (Until this thursday I'm busy with exams, but afterwards...)

  [...]

asbel> GTK already seems to be slightly ahead of the game there - I don't see
asbel> any MBCS support in KDE/Qt at all, although they do support European
asbel> languages quite well. GTK at least already supports double-byte fonts in
asbel> labels and such...
asbel>
asbel> So, the revised plan for total world domination would be something like:
asbel>
asbel>  - Create a library of Unicode support functions from Yudit's existing
asbel>    back-end, to provide unified, all-purpose textual conversion and input
asbel>
asbel>  - Start adding widget support directly into GTK/GNOME and/or KDE to
asbel>    spread Unicode display support around
asbel>
asbel>
asbel> This is giving me unworthily large-scale thoughts about a time when
asbel> every new application is globalised *by default* ]:).
asbel>
asbel> (The scary part is that I think it could actually be made to happen...)

Hello,
since it appears that GTK/GNOME is destined for bigger role in the Linux
community, this world-domination plan deserves some thought.  I probably
won't have time to participate in development.  The only thing that
I've had time to do is finally install the binaries for GNOME and get
the panel and associated apps to work.

I might be able to help with some of the infrastructure necessary to
start a project like this.   There related groups to TLUG such as
JTLUG http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~jtlug and The Perl Journal Japan
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~tpj-jp that use TLUG infrastructure.

Stuff that TLUG can do:  mailing list, home page space, shell access,
  use of TLUG name, marketing (helping to gather project participants), FTP
  repository (right now it's one the PHT server in the U.S.), eVote
  democratic voting ability if you use majordomo.  Also, it is probably
  possible to add search capability to the list since several lists on the
  TLUG server already have search capability.

There are other things that are technically possible such as CVS
repositories.  However, we've never done one before.

Limitations: there may be some disruption when we move to collocate the
	server at PSI.  Until the move, the server bandwidth is pretty
	limited, though the TLUG FTP section of the PHT server has good
	connectivity.

The first step might be trying to send out some queries on jtlug as to
who is interested from the existing GTK developers in Japan.  You can
ask in English or Japanese.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station