Re: tlug: Japanese

>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Toshio Oda <craigoda@example.com> writes:

    Craig> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    turnbull> >>>>> "Eric" == Eric Standlee and Family
    turnbull> <e-w.standlee@example.com> writes:
    turnbull>
    turnbull> Eric> If I just do the Mule/fonts install is that all I
    turnbull> Eric> need for Japanese?
    turnbull>
    turnbull> No, you need printing too, right?  If just electronic
    turnbull> text is enough, mule is all you need.

    Craig> Also, if you want to input Japanese, you have to install a
    Craig> henkan server and dictionaries, either Wnn or Canna is the
    Craig> standard.

... mumble mumble ... too many versions ...

1.  XEmacs 20.4/Mule:  distributed with SKK, configured for Canna or
    Wnn.  Yes, you probably want to install one of them.  Canna is
    less problematic in my experience.  There should be a Debian
    package of this XEmacs on ftp2.linux.or.jp:/pub/debian-jp or
    somesuch.  There will also be packages for Canna and Wnn.

    If your Japanese input is going to be limited, SKK is fine.

2.  The FSF's Emacs 20.x:  distributed with LEIM, which for the
    purposes of Japanese is a derivative of SKK.  (It is much more
    comprehensive, being usable for other languages.)  If you want
    Canna or Wnn, you need unofficial patches AFAIK.  I don't know if
    there are Debian packages for these.  Mule is integrated into this
    distribution, there are not separate patches for Mule itself.

3.  The FSF's Emacs 19.34b/Mule:  you need the unofficial patched
    versions.  There should be Debian-JP packages of this.  Works with
    the same Canna and Wnn packages as 1 and 2.

kinput2 is probably not worth worrying about unless you need to do
shell input (eg, if you telnet to a Japanese site).  It is necessary
for Japanese input in Netscape.  (Alternatively you can use xwnmo.)

Statements about Debian-JP packages should also apply to PJE and
J-RPMs, and to TurboLinux-J.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station