Re: tlug: File Browsers

>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Toshio Oda <craigoda@example.com> writes:

    Craig> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    turnbull> new package called eudc for XEmacs.  I imagine it works
    turnbull> for Emacs, but setup might require a little fooling
    turnbull> around since the FSF doesn't support packages (yet?).

    Craig> Emacs and XEmacs are the same for my purposes.  I run both
    Craig> and it is trivial for me to switch to XEmacs if eudc meets
    Craig> my needs.  I looked on the ftp.xemacs.org site and could
    Craig> not find eudc.  I also did a search for a Debian package.

Oops.  I just checked, and EUDC is the "Emacs Unified Directory
Client"---telephone directory, that is.  Really.  My Face Is Red.
Anyway, check out XEmacs's dired and see if it's any better.  Mouse
handling should be better, which might help.  XEmacs 21 will probably
have DnD for this, too.

Ah ... yah.  About the package interface....

Anyway, packages aren't a released feature yet, although they have
worked since 20.3 (both the API and the UI were controversial and no
upgrade tools existed).  In beta/xemacs-21.0/packages/binary-packages,
do a `ls eudc*' and get the most recent version.  Create an ~/.xemacs
directory and unpack the eudc tarball there.  It should create some
subset of etc, lisp, and info subdirectories, with an eudc
subdirectory in etc (if it exists) and lisp and eudc.info in the info
subdirectory.

Then restart xemacs 20.4, and do C-H i eudc.  It should be that easy.

    Craig> I found references for the comm/eudc XEmacs CVS Tree.  Is
    Craig> there a way to get a stable version of this?  I do like the
    Craig> fish character at cvs.xemacs.org.

The CVS tree is useless if you're not running XEmacs 21.  Probably; I
don't think anyone's tried, actually.  Anyway, it's unsupported.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station