RE: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

-----Original Message-----

7ol : Eric Standlee and Family <e-w.standlee@example.com>

>with a tty error when I run pon.  Can it be, I hope not, that my modem
>cannot be used with Linux?

It wouldn't happen to be any kind of a Winmodem (AKA Lose-modem :-)   ),
would it?  If it is a Winmodem, in fact you can't use it with Linux, since
they require the Windows driver to run.  The driver and Windows talk to each
other to offload functions from the modem to the OS that would normally be
done in hardware.  Not putting in that hardware makes the device cheaper.
Some printers like this were (are?) also made.

If it's not a Winmodem, you can use it.  It's just a matter of getting the
kinks worked out and using the correct init string for your modem.

Best of luck,

Jonathan Byrne <E-mail:jq@example.com>
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station