Re: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

Hi Karl;

Thanks for your PPP post; though I haven't had ppp problems yet, it was easy
to follow and did clear up a few questions I had. You are obviously quite
versed in the unix world (though I'm sure you weren't born that way :-).

I, alas, am a unix newbie struggling to get a grip on FreeBSD - I haven't had
the pleasure of Linux yet, but still enjoy and find this group helpful.  With
16+ years in other OS's however, I don't consider myself a *computer
illiterate*, though I am definitely new to unix.  Helpful posts such as yours
and others in this group go a long way to bridging the gaps in the abundance
of unix reading materia available out there.  However, I think anyone
knowledgeable of the importance and usefulness of unix in today's
point-and-click world has atleast some previous computer literacy, and the
associated bugs, patches, quirks, and crashes in this ever changing industry.
  I, for one, am usually *stunned* today when somethings works flawlessly the
first time round, rather than when something *doesn't* work at first (maybe
I'm revealing too much about my general computer prowess ;-)...)

I look forward to developing my unix skills along with  the you and others in
this group (and hopefully be able to make it down from Iwate for a Tlug
meeting now and then).  I appreciate your knowledgable help.  I hope we
newbies are not considered too much of a *problem*  - I assume most of us
have been there at somepoint or other ;-)...

Regards

Sean Bennett
sean@example.com

> Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> wrote,
>
> > That is EXACTLY the problem. All the newbies nowadays get some
> > shrink wrapped distribution, throw it at their computer and
> > expect it to work (unfortunately usually the case). If any
> > problems arise they are stunned because they never learned the
> > ropes...

> > The present wave seems to me to make highly complex technical
> > systems accessible to the computer illiterates...
> > There was a good article in the last Linux Gazette addressing
> > this problem...

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station