Re: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

Thanks Mr. Schweizer and everyone for your continued, warm help.

I admit that this serial port business is new to me as I used to only deal
with Unix off ethernet.

I have found out that I am really having a problem with Linux talking to my
modem.  This quote is from my dmesg:
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

With this information, can someone tell me which device I should be using?
Ie. /dev/modem linked to /dev/ttyS0 .  And, what should the permissions be
on that device?  I think that I have tried these but I still don't get
minicom, or anything for that matter to talk to the modem.  PPPD kicks out
with a tty error when I run pon.  Can it be, I hope not, that my modem
cannot be used with Linux?  It recognizes it on boot at two different irqs.
 It is a DSDV fax/modem.  I know it is silly, but my manuals don't tell me
who the maker is.  It is the modem on the 166Mhz Sony VAIO in case anyone
has this same computer or has a friend who does...

TIA,

Eric S. Standlee
e-w.standlee@example.com