tlug: Another commercial Linux machine

At our sort-of weekly engineering division meeting today, Linux actually
cropped up.  We'd gotten some pamphlets advertising a Linux-based server
called the Cobalt Qube.  It's a 20 cm cube (2.8 Kg) that comes with Linux
(I don't know what distribution, or if they make their own).  Standard
memory is 16, with a 2 GB hard disk (Ultra-ATA) and 10 base-T Ethernet.
It says it has a 150 MHz RISC CPU, but doesn't say what kind.  Storage is
expandable to 6 GB, and it can go to 64 meg of memory.

That seems like not much for the 248,000 yen list price, but it was
interesting to see yet another Linux product appear.

I told them the Linux system installed on my computer here does everything
that one does - web server, mail, the whole deal.  My boss asked me how
much it costs per month, and I said "Nothing.  If you want Linux on CD,
you just buy one for about 5,000 yen and you can install it on as many
computers as you want to, legally."  That seemed to make an impression :-)

Who knows?  Maybe someday I won't be the only person in my office using
Linux :-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station