tlug: Hiding new lines in Xemacs

    Jonathan> When I open a Windows text file in Xemacs, the newlines
    Jonathan> are always visible as a ^M and I'd like them to not be.

I don't have a problem with this in XEmacs/Mule.  Is your XEmacs
missing Mule?  (`M-: (featurep 'mule)' returns t in the echo area if
you have Mule.)  And there's always

`M-X replace-string C-Q C-M RET RET'

    Jonathan> They are invisible in Mule, though, so I'm sure there
    Jonathan> must be a setting to hide them in Xemacs if I can just
    Jonathan> find it :-)

Not until 21.0 comes out (maybe 3 weeks), I think.  Mule hides them
because Mule does autorecognition of file encodings, including not
only language variants but OS variants (Unix, Mac, Windose).

21.0 splits the file-encoding logic from Mule proper (Mule is still
necessary for doing anything sensible with non-ISO-8859 languages),
and there is a port to Min32[sic] platforms (95 and NT) using the
Cygwin support.  This port seems to be pretty successful (according to
the beta list) in providing most of the functionality of GNU Emacs in
general as well as the special features of XEmacs, including
multimedia support.  It's as stable as any Windose app, thus-I-am-told.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station