RE: tlug: FreeBSD

-----Original Message-----

7ol : Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>

>Did you have the Japanese version?  The one we have has a Japanese
>installer, Japanese packages, etc... you probably had the USA-version of
>2.2.5.. not the J version.  Oh well, Linux is better anyhow, IMHO.

At the time, I don't think there was a Japanese version.  I'd gone over to
Akihabara with one of the network ops people to pick up some Ethernet cards
and such, and we stopped in at some store that sold a lot of FreeBSD stuff
(can't remember the name or where it was), and the only things they had were
the standard Walnut Creek FreeBSD CD-ROMs, and 2.2.5 was pretty new at that
time.  I never saw any other kind anywhere else, either.  Your FreeBSD-J
distribution is quite a bit newer than that, isn't it?

I also agree that Linux is better, anyway :-)  It's also pretty much  blown
out the category for alternative operating systems.  I think it will be kind
of like a MacOS Vs.  Windows 95 type of situation: Linux is both bigger and
growing faster than any other alternative OS, and it will draw developers
away from other ones as a result of that.  FreeBSD isn't going to disappear
or anything, but Linux is where the action is, a trend that will only get
stronger.

Jonathan

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station