Re: tlug: Linux telecom nexus

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, J. David Beutel wrote:

> LAN Phase:
>
>   plan:
> 	Buy an external ISDN TA with a serial port and 2 analog lines.
> 	Use my Linux box as a router.  Buy a board of some kind to
> 	connect my laptop (will decide later), since both serial ports
> 	and the parallel port of the box will be occupied.
>
>   questions:
>
> 	1. Where will the PPP daemon run, on the TA or Linux?  Both?
> 	   I.e., how does the TA do MultiPPP, BOD, etc?  Does Linux?

pppd will run on Linux.  Linux treats external TAs just like an analog
modem, actually.  So does any OS, for that matter.  You'll probably have
to do IP masquerading on the linux box in order to get your notebook
connected, unless you get more than one static IP from your ISP, if you
can get a static IP at all :)

> 	2. I think I understand dialing out, but how can I dial-in to
> 	   my box at home via a digital channel?  (E.g., see the Mobile
> 	   Phase below.)  Do I need to rent a second phone number from
> 	   NTT?

You should be able to dial in.  Haven't tried it on isdn, but it should
just be a matter of having Linux run mgetty and answer the phone.

> 	3. How can I get, or do, a permanent IP address from Internet,
> 	   without a leased line?  I.e., I would like to be able to

It's expensive if it's possible at all...

> 	5. How shall I connect my laptop?  I could add another serial
> 	   port to my box, and run PPP over it, but the box might be

Just get a pcmcia ethernet card and an ISA/PCI ethernet card for the
desktop machine, and get a 10-base2 transceiver for the pcmcia card.  Then
you just run coax cable and you don't need a hub.

> 	6. If I buy the DSU separate from the TA, are all DSUs the same?
> 	   Or, should I concern myself with DSU features as well?

Most TAs here in Japan have integrated DSUs.  You really should get one of
those, IMHO.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station