PPP Problems (Re: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

Hi Karl,
My provider gives me an access point that I could use while I am
abroad. There are some catches. Now I could set it up so that
it works, but it seems to work only with Windows95 which is totally
useless for me, because all my mail stuff is on the Linux partition
of a dual-boot laptop.

I would be glad if somebody with compuserve experience could help me. I
even would appriciate directing me how to get a log file of the
authentication of Windows 95 so that I could replicate it in Linux. Now,
in lack of  documentation and sorrunding with proprietary Windows and
Compuserve allience I am thinking of attaching a serial port analyzer, if
I can get one. It is definitelly cheaper than long distance calls from
here.

What I have learnt so far is that:
o the access point is Compuserve
o When you connect it is 7-bit mode.
o People with compuserve accounts here converse the following way:
CONNECT
<garbage>: +                           this swithes from 7 to 8 bit mode
Host Name:  CIS
Login ID: 12345,213/GO:PPPCONNECT      This tells them what we are up to
                                       but it wont work for me. It says
                                       'invalid login' . Yeah, my login
                                       is not a number.....
Password: <passw>
start pppd here.

So this works for Compuserve users in Linux, but it wont work for me.
My Id is not a number. But in windows it works. How can I get what windows
does without a serial analyzer?

Thanks,
gaspar