Re: tlug: mouse fixed; now what about email

    Scott> On Sat, 30 May 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> I will admit that TurboLinux set up diald very nicely; it's a
    >> damn shame that the last thing I need is diald coming up
    >> automatically at boot, stealing the phone line, and stomping on
    >> the ethernet gateway I want configured ;-) But that's my fault
    >> for not being a typical luser, right, Scott?

I spoke too soon.  I burned my system to the ground (well, actually, I
give the TL installer permission to reformat my system partitions)
with the intention of getting a pristine install, and the new install
totally hosed my modem setup.  (It worked before, it still works on my
Deb system, just pop and swap and cardmgr does the rest, but now the
TL-1.9J-beta2 pppd (probably) keeps complaining in /var/log/messages
that the "remote side isn't doing LCP right, all bit 7s are clear.")
Which isn't relevant to this list, really, until you release TL2, but...

    Soctt> From what you said about the ppp config files on Debian,
    Scott> though, that brings up an interesting point - it seems like
    Scott> there's no standard for where to put those.  TurboLinux
    Scott> puts them in the same place as Redhat puts them (I fell in
    Scott> love with RH's configuration file placement/ /etc structure
    Scott> right after I first installed the 2.0 release...), but

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it to death.  :-)

The problem is that there are too damn many configuration
files/scripts spread out over several directories, with no
explanations as to which you can touch and which you shouldn't.  The
diald configuration alone refers to about 11 different files under
/etc, once you include the ppp stuff (and you must when
troubleshooting the kind of problem I'm seeing).

I must admit, I don't know if Debian's organization is better in that
sense.  However, I prefer the Debian method of each subsystem having
its own subdirectory of /etc, where all the config stuff is placed
_except_ the init scripts, which you're not supposed to touch anyway.
Debian is not entirely consistent about this, but then, neither is
RedHat.  I also don't really see the need for rc?.d subdirectories of
rc.d, but that's really purely personal taste.

It's probable in my case that I would have to deal with two
configuration subdirectories (ppp and diald), maybe three or four (add
pcmcia and network) below /etc.  But that's true for RedHat (/etc,
/etc/rc.d/init.d, /etc/sysconfig, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts),
too.  The main thing that pissed me off is that I couldn't just do a
`grep key *' anywhere, and got too many extraneous hits when I did it
on the list above.

And the lack of comments in the files just plain sucks.

    Scott> these locations are different from Slackware, which are in
    Scott> turn different from Debian...
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station