Re: tlug: MagicPoint and math

Rex Walters <rex@example.com> wrote,

> I'd just do a screen capture of xdvi (or gv if you've also got some
> embedded  postscript figures) with xv or the gimp to generate the gif.
>
> I'd probably do it interactively (creating presentations is interactive
> work for me) but if you really wanted a batchmode latex -> (transparent)
> gif tool, you could probably hack something together with pbmplus and
> whatever that funky XFree86 experimental server is that acts as a
> "virtual" display (no physical hardware, just memory).  Can't remember
> what it's called....
>
> I find it easier to draw boxes around what I want in my figure than I do
> trying to determine coordinates for pbmplus tools.  :-)

It is easier the first time...  The reason I don't like
WYSIWIG tools and mice is that you cannot automate repeated
procedures.  A presentation is something that usually
evolves.  Many of my presentations share a lot of material,
but very seldom I give a single presentation twice and many
slides change slightly from one use to the next.  In other
words, after changing a formula, I want to reformat the
corresponding slide by pressing two or three keys.

Cheers,

Manuel
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station