Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about email)

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com>
To: tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com>
Date: 1998”N6ŒŽ1“ú 8:52
Subject: Re: tlug: diald (was: mouse fixed; now what about
email)

<From my previous post>

>> Unfortunately, that's a common problem, since Windows and
>> MacOS both apparently automatically detect the
>> authentication type and act appropriately.  I hope that

>They don't. They simply use PAP all the time - and
practically

In the very informative log of a Windows 95 session that Kei
posted, Windows was seen responding with PAP authentication
after it was requested from the IP side.  Does this then
mean that if the ISP side requested CHAP, Windows would just
die?  If so, you're right; that's stupid.  But I still hope
to see Linux become able to automatically get into the right
authentication mode.  Right now there remain areas (a lot of
them, in terms of end-user software) where "It works on
_________" can be almost a mantra, but I don't just want to
see Linux do things as well as the other guys.  I look
forward to a day when it will do *everything* better :-)

In some ways, I'm inclined to say that as far as getting a
PPP connection going is concerned, it wouldn't be hard to do
better, in so far as on both MacOS and Windows, this isn't
as easy as it ought to be.  I get tech support calls all the
time from people having trouble with both of those
platforms.  The problems come in two areas: the procedure
seems to be either poorly documented or not documented at
all on both Windows 95 and MacOS, and it's made more
difficult than it needs to be by the facts that you have to
set things up in two different pieces of software and that
both have less than interface design.

My hope for Linux is that there will be a nice, easy-to-use
connection tool for Linux where users have to put in their
id and password, select their modem from a menu (or can put
in a manual init string if it isn't there), and there
information such as DNS server names, etc.  While you can do
this on both Mac and Windows, the procedure isn't nearly as
good, simple, or transparent/intuitive as it ought to be, so
this is a place where it would be really nice to show the
ease of use kings how it ought to be done :-)

Jonathan

>all ISP's comply - particularly those using radius
>authentication with their dial in racks ( and that's the
norm
>today....). In case of the Max6000 you even have trouble
doing
>terminal authentication.
>
>Thus, stupidly using PAP all the time normally puts you in
>business. It's faster, too.
>
>If I try responding anything at the "login:" prompt at
>OberlandNet, I am simply kicked out. So I don't and start
PAP
>immediately after having a modem connection.
>
>                                Karl-Max Wagner
>                                karlmax@example.com
---
>Next TLUG Meeting: 13 June Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate
12:30
>Featuring Stone and Turnbull on .rpm and .deb packages
>Next Nomikai: 17 July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
>After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo
Station